Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Oscars

I love cinema and go when I can so I've managed to catch quite a few of this years nominations for best film. Here's my verdict on those I've seen:

District 9 - original but not much fun from my point of view. The alien invaders are convincingly grim and grubby but why do I want to spend two hours in their depressing company? 6/10
An Education - a slight disappointment. Nice period detail but ponderous and I was not quite as won over by the central performance. The problem for me is that none of the main characters is sympathetic and all the action seems telegraphed. Then again I have read the original Lynne Barber account which is more interesting in my view 6.5
The Hurt Locker - heard good reports
Inglorious Bastards - a mess. Good opening but the following two+ hours are violent and incoherent 3/10
Precious - haven't seen it but popular amongst my colleagues.
A Serious Man - Excellent. Cohn brothers move to a new level. Curiously, the weakest part of the film is the opening - thought we were in for a long dreary tale about East European peasants. 9/10
Up - Animation is a hard sell for me but this really is a bravura performance. 8/10
Up In The Air - looks great in the trailers and will try and see. Hope George C manages to control that head tilting thing he employs at ever opportunity
Avatar - haven't seen it but don't fancy either the glasses or the virtual world. My wife says its 'the worst film I've ever seen' and she likes sci-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment